Next month is Women in Horror Month 2020! GET EXCITED!
Women in Horror Month (WIHM) celebrates women’s contributions to the horror genre. Be it through books, films, television, scholarship, or fandom, women keep the genre alive and kicking — and fresh.
One of the best and most obvious ways to celebrate WIHM is to add plenty of women in horror to your reading queue! Not sure where to start? Below, I’m sharing my recommended reads list for WIHM, as well as my own TBR (to be read) list for February.
Sonora’s Recommended Reads for Women in Horror Month
- Let’s Play White by Chesya Burke
- The Vegetarian by Han Kang
The Erotic Modern Life of Malinalli The Vampire by V. Castro
- Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage
- In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado
- Monster, She Wrote by Lisa Kröger and Melanie Andersen
- White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
- The Cult Called Freedom House by Stephanie Evelyn
- F4 by Larissa Glasser
- Wish You Were Here: Adventures in Cemetery Travel by Loren Rhoads
- Breathe. Breathe by Erin Sweet al-Mehairi
- The Devil’s Dreamland by Sara Tantlinger
- I Am Not Your Final Girl by Claire C. Holland
- Dear Laura by Gemma Amor
- Sacrificial Lambs and Others by Sheri White
And for those who are curious, here’s what I’m planning to read for WIHM 2020:
- Severance by Ling Ma
- Whispers in the Dark by Laurel Hightower
- Hairspray and Switchblades by V. Castro
- The Strange Crimes of Little Africa by Chesya Burke
- The Possession of Natalie Glasgow by Hailey Piper
- Poems of My Night by Cina Pelayo
- The Party by Lisa Hall
I will also be commemorating WIHM by featuring interviews on this very blog with women in horror. Stay tuned!
What are you planning to read? Let me know in the comments!